Monday, September 14, 2009

Asian Recipes?

I am turning to all of you for help. I am looking for SIMPLE Asian recipes and cookbooks. I would also like to know what type of cooking pans and or other necessary equipment may be necessary for preparing the dishes.

We love Asian food but I have never made any at home. I would really like to start. I'd like to at least get a few dishes under my belt that I'm good at before Bebo comes home. Please if you have any ideas pass them along.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am AWFUL at cooking Asian food. (Minus my girlfriend's egg roll recipe...that one I've conquered.) No clue what my problem is, but all the Asian recipe's I've tried have never turned out well.

    But I'll send you the egg roll recipe :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont have any but I would like to learn too! please share when you get some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wok is ideal, but you *can* make do with a large skillet. Having a steamer is also muy helpful.

    Lion's Head with Chinese (Celery) Cabbage

    2 lbs pork, ground
    2 TBSP sherry
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 1/2 TBSP corn starch
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 water chestnuts, finely chopped (optional)
    2 lbs Chinese cabbage cut into 1 inch strips
    10 dried mushrooms soaked in 1/2 cup water (save water)
    1 tsp salt
    1 TBSP soy sauce

    Mix first six ingredients; form into 2 inch balls. Heat 3 TBSP oil and fry for 20 minutes over medium heat, turning until all surfaces are dark brown. Place cabbage in pot with water, soy sauce, mushrooms and salt, with the lion's heads on top (the pork sausages). Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Use the water from the mushrooms as a sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own a wok & love using it weekly. If you buy a good wok there'll most likely be a little recipe booklet inside. Or google some recipes online- sites w/ feedback from readers like allrecipes.com are great so you know if they're worth trying. Cookbooks are hit or miss- some great, some not so much. Woks are wonderful cooking tools but need some TLC. If you can learn one good sauce then you can make a ton of different things w/it. Have fun experimenting! :)

    ReplyDelete