Monday, September 1, 2008

Blessings From Above

I'm not sure how many of you are aware but our church has been without a pastor for the last 10 months. Last week was our first Sunday with our new pastor and his family. Let me tell you a bit about how God has worked in our lives over the last couple of months.

You see, after having surgery on my neck The Count and I had talked about moving to a warmer climate. The cold weather really bothers me. The Count actually had an interview in Atlanta but it just was not to be. He searched the south for jobs and nothing was panning out. We knew summer was coming so we'd start to look again in the fall or sometime after winter. I could do one more winter.

After we stopped looking for jobs out of state The Count found a couple local jobs and applied. We also received word that we had a prospective pastor. First step would be a phone interview. The Count and I are both board members so that would mean we would take part in that phone interview. We learned that they had four children (3 boys 1 girl) and that their youngest, a daughter "B" is adopted through the US Foster System. They were also fostering a little boy in addition to their four children. I knew the moment I heard that, that God had chosen our pastor. Call it a hunch. The phone interview went very well and the board invited the family for a weekend interview. Kind of a get to know you in person and to get to see the town.

We had a formal meeting the Friday they arrived and on Saturday four board members took the family around the surrounding towns. The Count and I happened to be two of the people who toured the local area with them. It was right before lunch when it finally hit me. I was having a talk with the pastor wife in a store. We were talking about a bracelet and she had mentioned how she wasn't wearing much jewelery these days. I told her that I only wear my clasp and my "Kids Have Strokes" awareness bracelet. She had asked me to repeat myself, almost like she wasn't sure she heard me right. So I repeated myself and then explained. She then said something to me and it literally took two or three minutes for it to register. I then asked her "Did you say "B" had a stroke also?" Her response brought tears to my eyes. She said "Yes" I almost made her cry. It was at that moment that I heard God answer my prayers. I wanted to tell her that she was the person I have been praying for but seeing that she was on an interview I didn't want to put any added pressure on their decision. LOL

We talked about how much the girls have in common. Sensory issues, feeding issues, all the issues related to the stroke and the many doctor appointments, you name it. We just clicked from the moment we met. I can't tell you how good it was to have someone who knew exactly what it was that we were going through.

When we received word that they had accepted the call to come to our church and our church body accepted them I called her up and we've been chatting ever since. Now that they are in town it's great! It's funny how the Lord opens and closes doors and sometimes it takes awhile before you see what he has in store for us. I am so grateful for this wonderful family. Thank you Jesus!

4 comments:

  1. God is good! He has shown me in so many ways these past few months that we just have to trust him. Sometimes that's pretty hard but if we do we will always be rewarded!

    Hugs,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been praying for this, Cheri... you found your Canuck K. I knew God would bring someone to you. I'm so happy for both of you. And I pray that this friendship will bless you as greatly as did and does my friendship with Canuck K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy and thrilled you have someone who understands exactly what all you are going through. I'm sad for me that we were not able to live near each other, but oh so happy for BOTH you and the pastor's wife. I'm sure you both needed each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe everyone comes into our lives for a reason my friend. So happy to hear that this wonderful couple has come into yours and your church.

    Hugs,
    Jonni

    ReplyDelete