Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Playing Catch Up

Wow, this month has flew by! So in my last post I asked for scissors, I found some. LOL Let me add that Twink will begin a second round of casting on January 6th. I ended up cutting off Twink's cast due to the fact that her fingers were sticking out farther than they should and she was able to use them. She started to use her left hand only and was getting upset when she could not use the hand as a whole. The casting has done wonders in more ways than one. Twink is now playing center based instead of turning to her left to do everything. She is using her right hand a bit more for some things but definitely more than before the casting. Best of all it has helped her speech. Wondering how? Well this is how it was explained to me. She was forced to use the left side of her brain and that is where her speech center is. So not only is she benefiting from the casting for her arm but it has propelled her speech. She has started to babble MUCH more and she has found the words mommom and daddy again. Twink's speech therapist is very encouraged as are we. As for the neurosurgeon who said Twink would never talk, poopoo on him! She does have to work on forming some of her words but it will come. She is also doing VERY well with sign language and we will continue to work with her on that.

We saw a new neurologist this afternoon. For the first time in a year we have found out the extent of Twink's damage from her stroke. The doctor we saw today was great and actually took time to explain things. I can't believe that the neurosurgeon and the neurologist we saw did not explain anything to us. When he came in the room he told us that he was shocked that Twink looked so well after reading her chart. He asked what our concerns were and I had told him about the seizures. He looked at the CD I had of all the scans of Twink's MRI's and her MRA. He then started to explain that Twink's left temporal lobe is completely damaged. That was the first time we had heard this. I believe he also said a portion of her cerebellum but I was still trying to wrap my brain around what I had just heard.

We are starting her on anti-seizure medication. It is needed and will always be needed. The damage is so great and she will always be at risk for seizures. I feel good about the medication selection he made. I know people think she is too little to start medication at an early stage in her life but it really is a matter of life or death. I've already had to do rescue breathing for her once I'd prefer to not do it again.

Overall we are extremely blessed. The doctor's very pleased at how well Twink is doing. He said that he expected her to do very well. Only God can work the wonders in our daughter like He has. I stand in awe of all that she has overcome. I thank God for blessing our lives with her sweet and not so sweet little self.

Thank you for listening and all of your support!

5 comments:

  1. wonderful, wonderful blog , cheri. we are so pleased and know god is touching her each and avery day. her papa and meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! So much to take in, and so much to praise God for doing in her life so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! This little girl is very inspiring, without even knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news...It is so awesome to see how well she is doing! I LOVE when a dr. say 'this child will never...blah, blah" and then the child does it and does it shortly after being told they never would. GOD IS AWESOME!

    I felt such relief to hear you have found drs. that are fully explaining everything. Yahoo!!

    Keep up the amazing work mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! AMAZING! WOW!!! I am speechless to think of all God has done in her life!

    And on a lighter note, I love the poopoo on the doctor part. I felt that way about our genetics visit! And thankfully, our cards doc and PCP supported my feeling that way!

    You know about the meds. S is on some heavy stuff too but as you say, when it is life or death, I am thankful to have it. Shoot, I wish we lived closer to each other!! I just know S and L would have a great time playing together!!!

    ReplyDelete