Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tasty Tuesday


Sorry about skipping last week but there was so much excitement from receiving LOA that I totally forgot!



General Tso's Chicken
 
Ingredients:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 dried red chilis
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
3 cups peanut oil for deep-frying
2 cups cornstarch
1 big pinch white sesame seeds, for garnish
Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish

Marinade:
2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 egg yolk

Sauce:
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons chicken stock or water

Cooking Instructions:


Step :1 Mix ingredients for marinade. Slice chicken into 1-inch cubes and add to marinade mixture. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.

Step 2: Mix ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
Drip excess marinade off the chicken, and toss cubes in the 1 cup cornstarch. Shake off excess cornstarch before frying. Add about 2 inches of peanut oil to your wok. Heat wok until just smoking, then add the first batch of chicken cubes and deep-fry until cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove chicken with a metal slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.

Step 3: Drain all but 1 tablespoon of oil. (You can pour the oil into a heatproof container and save for later use.) Reheat wok over medium-heat heat. Add dried chilis, garlic, and ginger to wok and stir-fry until chilis begin to blacken and become fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sauce mixture and stir until thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Return chicken to wok and stir well to coat with sauce. Transfer chicken to serving dish.

Step 4: Sprinkle with white sesame and scallions. Serve with white rice and vegetables.

(Makes 4-5 servings)


3 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can try this one - I think - I'll have to check all of the ingredients for THEIR ingredients to make sure there are no sulfites anywhere. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this tonight and it was so delicious that everyone, including Lydia, ate it so quickly and asked for more!! I shall definitely make this again but I had better double it next time!!!

    Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete