Friday, April 30, 2010

My Heart Broke Yesterday!

Yesterday I went to pick up Bebo from school. I am always early so that he does not have to wait and wonder where I am. I was early and waiting in my van when I noticed some of the little children had come out. I decided I would get out of the van and go in and wait.

That's when it happened. I saw the two boys from his class exiting the building and coming down the stairs. "Mr. Excited" came up to me and started signing as fast as he could. He was pointing to the building, looked mad concerned and then the only sign I could understand was the very last one, "good". I know he was talking about Bebo but I have no idea what he signed. :( All I could do was nod. :( My heart shattered into a million pieces. I want so bad to communicate with the children and the adults but my sign level and confident level is no where near what I'd like. If only the college didn't double the price of their ASL classes because we were are out of that county.

Bebo was waiting for me inside and was very excited to see me. I think it was good for him to have to wait for me so that he understood that I would come for him. Last night we were looking over his photo book and when he reached our old family picture he points to himself like he always does and questions where he is. We are slackers and have not had a new one that includes him done yet. Soon though I promise! It is evident it is important to him. Then he see the picture of our house and and a smile starts on his face. It becomes SO big that he opens his mouth and a little squeal is released. He threw his arms around me and was just so excited! I'm not sure where this all came from because we've looked at this book a number of times but he saw it in a whole new light.

We finished his bedtime routine. The Count and I tuck him in at separate times for a little one on one. I covered him up signed good night, see you later, and I love you. Fixed his blankets and that's when he usually pulls the blankets up so we don't kiss him. It's kind of a game we play. Last night he puckered up and wanted a kiss from me!!! It was so sweet.

I think Bebo was beginning to think he'd never go to school. I mean he watched as the other children left everyday and he stayed behind. He really has changed quit a bit since he has gone to school. Maybe it is just me. LOL I really needed him to go to school. He is doing great and picking up some new signs. His friends have really embraced him and are really a great bunch of children. I could not have ask for him to be in a better class!

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! Our daughter did the same thing looking over our picture book. It was like she realized it was her home for the first time. Love these moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear his first few days are going well!

    ReplyDelete