Monday, August 16, 2010

Never Underestimate

Never underestimate someone/something based on what is on paper! So many people let their fear stand in the way of some really beautiful moments. They depend on experts to know what is best and to know it ALL!

Here is our daughter who we were told would NEVER speak! That very doctor that told us she would never talk made a statement (in a condescending tone) that spoke volumes to his personality. This is his statement to my husband and I, "And you adopted her knowing all of this?" I really wanted to scream at him what makes her less desirable than any other child? We wanted a child and she needed a family. She has medical needs that take lots of time and patience. We prayed and knew this was our child! He obviously only saw her as a medical case not a child who was loved dearly already.

Twink has made HUGE gains in a years time (she's been home now 32 months). Actually it has been the last 3-6 months where she has blossomed in her vocabulary.  In another year, I plan on sending a video to that doctor to show him just how well she is talking. I think they way he treated us was wrong and I plan on telling him.

Oh the first statement she makes is she wants to see the picture and then she wants to see *** (herself).

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. YIPPEEE!! We are also adopting a CP sweetie- one of the twins has CP and we have no idea the extent, but your Lia gives me great HOPE, so thank you for sharing Cheri! I have tears of joy for Lia and all she has overcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is doing sooo great!!! LOVED hearing her talk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, the "Mom....stop!" made me laugh out loud! There's even a little eye-roll in there too if I'm not mistaken! She's just beautiful and sounding very much like a typical kid. Isn't that AMAZING?!!! God is so awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how much this video encourages me. Thank you for sharing !
    I also can't wait to send a couple of videos to some condescending doctors !! One of the worst things as a parent is to hear a doctor "predict" your child's future, but it is so nice when we can prove them wrong. I am looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT JOb Lia and Cheri!

    BTW, I know some doctors like that one. I wonder if they all go to the same school? "How NOT to Talk to Moms Who Go to The Ohter Side of the Earth to Bring Home Their Children"

    Seriuosly, I am with Kathy. Who of any of us can "predict" one's future?!

    I wonder if S and L would understand each other well? L reminds me so much of S in her use of words! I got it all just perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful! What a blessing--I was with a family tonight whose son doctors said should be a vegetable due to cysts on his brain. He was running around and enjoying the crowd. So neat when God does things that wow the doctors. :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete