Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seizures or Tic?

Tell me what you all think of these video's of Bebo. I have brought it up to our family doctor but he seemed to think it was behavioral, I'm not so sure. I would think that after 6 months these behaviors would slow down and they are not.

**Let me add that the head movement is not in anyway related to what he is watching. Remember we have watched him do this for the last 6 months. Also in the bottom video the leg movement is involuntary.He does this when he is relaxing, watching TV and when he is trying to fall asleep at night. He does do it for a bit when he firsts falls asleep as well.**

Just a side note, Twink is letting me know that she tooted and that she has a stinking butt in the second video. :)

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. No expert here of course but it looks behavioral. Like they're movements he's used to doing to release tension. Kind of like people who bounce their knee w/o thinking about it... The fact that his eyes are tracking on the tv in the first one makes me lean toward it not being seizure related. I've seen a lot of petit mal seizures and the ones I've seen involve blinking or losing focus. What he's doing in the second one looks very familiar. Lillie is always moving. Always. She's only completely still when she's completely asleep. Her "relaxed" mode is still pretty busy. In fact she's the twitchiest, most uptight kid we've ever seen! We think part of it is from her hypervigilance and partly learned behavior from her orphanage. She likes to be moving at all times- ticcing, twitching, shifting position, straightening her clothes, itching her skin...it's like a way to keep her mind busy ALL THE TIME. She rolls her feet and ankles constantly. Somehow it must relieve built up tension for her. And she's been home 9 months. It's way better than it was but it's still there. I think for these kids who were always "on alert" in their SWI, it takes a long time to learn to fully be at rest.

    Oh and hearing Missie Ma'am announce her toot made me laugh out loud! What a normal, universal thing for a kid to do. :) Hearing her talk at all is so precious a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Ok, the leg movement thing? That might be behavorial. Little T does this thing with her hands and then will start scratching her head right before she falls asleep. I'm not sure if its self soothing or what but she's been home now for over 2 years and still does it. I can tell when she is getting ready to fall asleep because of these 2 behaviors.

    The head thing? At the beginning I watched his eyes and they seem to roll a bit - THAT - would have me concerned. Then he seems to shake it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tongginator used to shake her head just that way, seeking a dizzying sensation. It was either an institutional behavior or an SPD thing - take your pick. But she never moved her eyes in that way. So...

    What do the doctors think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't see the second video, but the first one didn't look like the tics I've seen our son do. However, his latest tic is making noises with his lips! DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

    I will say if you see these movements when Bebo is relaxed and doing things like watching TV, they very well may be tics. This is the time when kids often *release* them. Do you notice it more like right after he comes home?

    BTW, MANY BOYS of his age have tics and outgrow them. It is quite common in boys his age. Many parents just don't notice or chalk it up to *being a boy*. Just a thought.

    Diet modification really helped our son. Now that we've become quite lax, I've also noticed more tics and attitude. :I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting....can you send me your email address again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a student (13 year old boy) with tourettes syndrome that moves his head very similarly, he also sometimes rolls/moves his eyes a bit at times. The student's movements often look like he is nodding his head yes or no. The student's tics have not presented in any other areas of his body in my presence.

    ReplyDelete