Did I mention Twink told Jewel and I "I want ice cream"? Yes, this happens once and awhile where she blurts out very clear sentences. We are praying that with this round of casting this will be a new norm. :)
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
CIT Week 1
How sad is this face? From the look on her face I swear she is asking me "Why are you taking my picture and WHY won't you help me?" The thing is, this child is stubborn! She can feed her self but will not try. This is her third casting and I see huge improvements from her first. The first casting she could hardly lift her arm up to her mouth and would constantly bring her head down to her bowl. She does this still but not nearly like she used to.

Look how high her elbow is. This is HUGE for Twink. She is able to "dig" her spoon into her oatmeal unlike before. Now if only we can improve the strength in the hand. One step at time I suppose.

Look at how open her hand is! Yippee. Twink usually fists her hand and tucks her thumb between her pointer finger and her middle finger. When she has the cast on it makes her open her hand and use it more. We have found that she is a bit more off balance this time around with the cast. Not good because she does not catch herself when she falls.
Now I know these pictures I've posted make her look very frustrated and sad. The first day or two is always the hardest but she rebounds very quickly.The only time this usually happens is when it is time for her to eat. I swear her world revolves around food. The cast is not slowing her down and she is happy as can be. We can't thank you enough for your prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So wonderful Cheri! I'm thinking back to the first few pics and video you posted of when she was learning to eat the first time she had her cast...what a marked improvement! God is changing this precious child Cheri and is using you and Bob to make such a difference in her life!
ReplyDeleteOH WOW!!!! "I want ice cream?!" WAHOOO!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI know it's got to be hard to make her go through that level of frustration, but so many times parents have to do that. They have to push through something unpleasant because the rewards are so great.
So glad things are improving!
ReplyDeleteBless her heart. You mentioned her stubbornness and believe me, I have one stubborn little girl too! But you know, Cheri, that stubbornness was a survival mechanism for them no doubt. Do you know how many more castings she may need?
ReplyDeleteOh and on the catching herself, we have that issue too. Hoping therapy will help but we'll see.
Hugs, Leslie