There has not been much talk about Twink and her progress or lack of progress in sometime on the blog. Basically there was really not much to blog about. She had been holding steady at the level she was at until recently.
If you've been following Twinks story for sometime hang in here with me for a few minutes as I recap a bit. During the summer Twink transitioned out of EI (Early Intervention) and into our local school district. They have been wonderful so far. Twink started an inclusion preschool this past summer. During that time it was more of a transition time. We really did not see much growth and I was frustrated. In September she started back to the same school, different class, and few of the same therapists. She receives ST 4x a week, OT 3x a week and PT 3x a week. We are now seeing amazing results!
Twink receiving speech therapy 4x a week is definitely helping. She is really starting to talk! Whenever we have to do something that requires us to hold her (brush her teeth, wash her face) she will tell us to "let go". This does not happen once, she will tell us this over and over until we let her go. LOL She tells us when she wants to eat and when she is hungry. She says her name all . the. time. She tattles on SPITFIRE by name and tells her to "go". ;) On Halloween I gave her a piece of candy and she walked over to Daddy and said "I got candy". I asked him if he had heard what I heard and he said yes. I often wonder if I hear words coming from her that are just something I want to hear. So if someone else is around I'll often double check if they heard the same thing. They always hear the same word or phrase. We asked Twink to repeat the sentence and she came out with jumbled words. I did give her another package of smarties and she repeated the sentence "I got candy"! I must say it brought tears to my eyes. There are times when she just busts out with a new word or a sentence. She amazes us.
School asked me to stop in yesterday as her new brace for her arm came in and they wanted to show me how to put it on. Unfortunately the lady that brought the brace in came earlier than expected but luckily it is much like her old one so I already know how to place it on her. When I arrived at school Twink was working at a table with her brace on. I was afraid she would not be able to use her right hand as well as she did previously. The brace is to help keep her hand open and in the correct position. We do not want her hand to contract in a closed position. Twink is still able to take the tops off makers with this brace on. She holds the maker in her right hand (affected) and will pull the top off with her left hand. She never even used to use the right hand. Oh and did I tell you Twink was writing her name with those markers?!?! She can't make the A yet but she can make the LI. Short names people, short names! LOL :) She loves to do anything with arts and crafts.
I was also able to talk with her PT. She would like me to talk with our developmental doctor next month but she thinks it would be a good idea for Twink to be fitted with a brace for her right leg. I've questioned her leg for many months (over a year) but they always wanted to hold off. Actually the dev. doc did have a PT in her office that wanted to see how Twink was doing at her next appointment way back when but she ended up quitting. We will see how things go next month after our visit with her doctor.
To think about all Twink has been through and all she still has to go through is mind boggling. We are her family and we will do everything humanly possible to help her through whatever struggles she faces. She is our inspiration.
Our daughter WILL talk clearly one day! The odds were against her and she is beating them everyday!
YES SHE WILL!
ReplyDeleteThis is soooo exciting! I KNEW that this day would come and she is going to exceed ALL our expectations! I am sooo happy for her (and for you)! ~Sis
ReplyDeleteYeah Lia!! I'm so proud of you! And happy that you guys can see progress--love it!!
ReplyDeleteSo my question - how did you manage to get her to have ST 4x a week? Little T gets it 2x a week and I want more but was told that right now that is what the school system says. Grrr....I think we'll end up giving her ST privately too. She'll be 4 in April and still not talking - mostly babble.
ReplyDeleteLia - sweet girl!! We are all so proud of you! You keep working hard and great things will come your way.
Cheri - you are such a good mom! My hat is off to you and your family.
Hugs,
Carla
Yeah Lia! Love hearing these updates.
ReplyDeleteCarla, Lia was pretty much non-verbal up until this past summer. We had her IEP in January and we are due for another. I don't see them cutting any of her services as she still has a long way to go. It may also have a lot to do with her multiple dx. Hope you can receive more therapy for your sweet girl!
ReplyDeleteI saw your post oon my blog and was taken back with the same spelled name as myself. But, I had to post and say I love your blogs and stories. Congratulations on your upcoming adoption. And, I'm glad Lia seems to be doing much better. What a difficult, amazing, fulfilling journey you are on. You are an encouragement.
ReplyDeleteWonderful updates!!!!
ReplyDelete