Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Doctor Updates

I love this picture of Jewel and Twink. Jewel was working with Twink on trying to get her to use both feet and both hands. Trying to do both is very hard for Twink. Twink does work at it for a few minutes before trying to do it her way though.

Twink saw her developmental doctor on Monday. We have decided we are going to do Constraint Induced Therapy and Botox Injection to help relax her thumb joint and elbow joint. If you notice in most of her pictures her right arm is usually bent and held tight to her body. She also fists her hand which tucks her thumb in between her pointer finger and her middle finger. Over time these joints can become contracted if not worked properly. So we hope that these procedures will actually give her some more use of her her right arm and hand.

While at the appointmant we saw a PT. I mentioned I was concerned about Twink's right foot. She sometimes drags it but will also turn it out to clear it out from tripping. Because she has only been walking for about 10 months we decided we would give her a couple more months to see if her ankle would get stronger before we needed to fit her for a brace. She very well may need an AFO. We will work on some intense therapy for the next couple of months to see if that helps.

We also received a referral (SHOCKING - we never leave without a referral to another doctors office) to another neurologist about an 1 1/2 hours from here. I told our dev. doc about the seizure meds. that the neuro doc wanted to put her on and her eyes bugged out. She said that they hardly ever use that medication anymore. I told her that I really would like to have a second opinion so she said she had a great doctor and would set us up with him. I feel great about it because it's actually at a seizure clinic!

Otherwise Twink is doing great! She is really coming along and I see her tantrums becoming less and less. Well at least they are not lasting as long. Her and spitfire are just too cute together! I love watching the two of them play together!

3 comments:

  1. she look so BIG in that photo! So grown up already. Just beautiful.

    so glad you are seeing a 2nd neurologist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am finally getting caught up on your blog and all your kiddo's. The doctor appt.'s are sure "interesting" at your house, it seems like. As hard as it is for her to have to be tackled and sedated, one day she may actually thank you. What a sweetie she is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Cambodian born son has CP on his left side. We've had really good progress with botox which we've been doing since he was two years. He had his first surgery last week on his left leg to release his tendons but I'm really thankful that he's made it 7 years without having to have surgery. Good luck on the constraints though. Dear son couldn't stand that nor could I. He's still developed good use of his left arm and hand. Fine motor skills are poor but he can play catch and even climb on the monkey bars at school almost as well as any 2nd grader. Keep the faith, your daughter will do great.
    Yours,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete