We had an appointment for Twink today that I thought going in was a joke but was doing it anyway. When we first brought Twink home her developmental doctor was concerned she might be autistic. For awhile she did look autistic but I knew that very well could have been from China. Well ever month Twink would improve and the doctor asked if I would do the test. At four months home we were NOT willing to do the test. The Count and I felt Twink had not been home long enough for her to adjust. We did have the test schedule when she was home for about 9 months. Well as the Lord would have it we had to cancel due to lack of insurance coverage for the doctor who performed the test. I originally wanted to wait one full year for Twink to be tested. As it turned out when we reschedule it was schedule for January of 09! Just a little over a year of Twink enter into our family.
Twink's test today determined she is NOT autistic! She does not even fall on the spectrum. :) I do believe she has some sensory issues but we can handle whatever those obstacles are.
My advise to all of you adopting children from other countries and your put in a similar situation would be to wait! Why test the in the first few months of being home? Stand firm! Give the child a chance to adjust to a totally different life. Let the child blossom in your care and you'll be amazed at the difference. Now I'm not saying that ALL children will be as lucky as Twink was but I do believe MOST will be. So we are so extremely happy to have finally gone to this doctor and to have left with some good news and not another referral! :)
Amen!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear she is doing so well!!
Hugs, Jill
GREAT NEWS!! Also wonderful advice!
ReplyDeleteCheri ~ I am so, so glad. In another year or two, you are going to look back AGAIN and think, wow! how far she's come! Congrats to all y'all. I know how hard you worked to get here. Smiles ~ TM
ReplyDeletePraise God!!!! Wonderful news!!!
ReplyDeleteI came by your blog through Threads of Faithfulness. GREAT news about your little girl. We are in the waiting stage of adopting from China. Thank you for your words of wisdom!
ReplyDeletethis is wonderful news Cheri! moms KNOW best... you knew when would be the best time, and she showed them!
ReplyDeleteAWESOME news!!!!
ReplyDeleteYeah! It seems mother's intuition (from God) works for children born from the womb and from the heart. She is adorable!
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine the sigh of your hearts!
ReplyDeleteSo glad the results confirmed what you probably already knew. It was so nice talking with you this week! We finally had snow. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteKathie
Did you say "Told you so!"?? Ha - bet you did in your Head!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that the test finally showed everyone what you knew all along. So so very happy!!
Hugs,
Carla
That's wonderful news! I agree completely about waiting to test...we waited... We recently went through a bunch of testing with Elaine and I wrote about it on my blog the other day.
ReplyDeleteNO! Do not test right away (unless your child already has that diagnosis and you need to confirm it). So, so, so, so, so much of ASD diagnosis has to do with history and observations. This simply cannot be done when a child has not been home long. Not to mention all the adjust and attaching that needs to be done.
ReplyDelete