Friday, March 7, 2008

Unbelievably Scary Day

I had hoped to post how well things were going with Twink tonight but that change this morning. Two of our four children have not been feeling the best. They have had croup, fever, and yucky noses. Twink had it all the week before and seemed to do well this past week. She did great with all her therapy and even has a new splint she wears on her right hand.

Last night she felt rather warm so we gave her some Motrin and put her to bed. She woke up at 12am and I stayed up holding her for an hour because you could just tell she didn’t feel well. She did fine the rest of the night. This morning she woke as usual was a bit fussy but was playing in her crib. I will usually let her play in there for a little bit and then go in and get her. Well Dash decided he wanted to go in and get her without asking me. He brought her to me with a face full of boogies. She sat with me for a bit before she decided to vomit all over me. Not a lot the first time but enough for me to make phone calls to cancel lunch at my house. As I was on the phone she did it again only this time it was a good amount. I cleaned her all up and she didn’t even fuss so I let her be. I thought she was really tired and was falling asleep. Spitfire confirmed it looked like she was sleeping and then a few minutes later she told me she was awake. So I put her in a cradle position so I could actually see her face and something was seriously wrong. Her coloring was off. Now this is the first time she’s been sick and I just thought she was lethargic and progressively getting worse so I called my friend Carla whose daughter was very sick in China and asked what Princess looked like. As I’m looking at Twink my nurse instinct in me is saying her color is REALLY bad. Carla told me to look at how she was breathing so I laid her on the bed only to realize she wasn’t really. I got off the phone and called 911. As I’m watching Twink I can tell that she is not breathing and I am screaming at the 911 operator. I pick her up, bring her downstairs and lay her on the floor and the lady asks, “How many respiration does she have?” I watch her and the clock for fifteen seconds to realize she only has ONE! I then proceed to do what no parent should ever have to do to their child – rescue breathes. My 9 year old is running from neighbor to neighbor trying to find someone home and of course no one was. The ambulance was here within five minutes of my calling 911 and they were not even in my house 2 minutes. They put oxygen on her and took her right to the hospital. I was unable to go with them because of the children so I scrambled to find someone to watch them.

Thanks to two very good friends from church, one watched the kids and the other drove me with her tiny baby with her. So many things were going through my mind. She looked like she had passed when she was leaving my house. I was such a mess. I had no idea what had happened. I wasn’t sure if she had pneumonia, a stroke, something with cyst or a seizure. Praising God tonight, that it was only a febrile seizure. When I arrived at the hospital she was still in the middle of the seizure and as soon as the doctor saw me they told me what was going on. I didn’t have to stand there and wait for them to tell me anything. I ‘m so glad because I don’t think I could have waited much longer. They told me she was having a seizure and I thought it was due to the cyst. It’s not though. The seizure lasted about 60+ minutes and the doctor said that isn’t the norm for that type of seizure. He did say that she will be more inclined to have these types due to her medical history. We were able to leave the hospital about 2:15pm, about five hours after the whole incident. She is doing much better now besides being a bit drugged from the meds but that will get better soon. Her temp started to go back up about 4pm so she will be getting meds every four hours.

Thanks for all the prayers! Thanking the Lord for my son, for him bringing her to me when he did, for turning her over when I did, good doctors and nurses, paramedics and friends and family.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! {HUG} It was terrifying to hear you panic and then not know what was going on. I'm so glad she is okay, and I hope you do not go through that again anytime soon. {HUG}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! So glad that she is feeling a little better. We will continue to pray for her healing~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man Cheri, how scary. Thank the Lord she is fine now. I'll keep you and your whole family in my prayers that you're all feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete